PDF Print E-mail
Thursday, 05 February 2009 19:47

Manuel Jose rescinds with Cluj

Winger searching for new club back home

Manuel JoseThe exodus of Portuguese players from Romanian champions CFR Cluj has continued, with Manuel Jose the latest to leave the Transylvania club.

The 27-year-old winger follows the likes of Antonio Semedo, Daniel Amoreirinha and Pedro Oliveira in departing from Cluj, who have gradually been reducing the Portuguese contingent in their squad over the last year.

“I was not playing and the new manager (Ales Jindra) said he did not count on me, so I decided to rescind my contract,” Manuel Jose told Maisfutebol. “It was a different experience, I learned a lot.”

When Cluj won their historic first league championship last May, they did so with eight Portuguese on their book, but the philosophy at the club appears to have changed. “They are forgetting about the Portuguese. Now more Argentines arrive, there are seven or eight. They forget that we were the first to arrive, when the club had never even played in the Uefa Cup. After, they became champions and played in the Champions League.”

As for the future, Manuel Jose intends to return to Portugal, insisting that the closure of the transfer window will not affect him as much as it may appear. “Were I to stay in Cluj, I would not be playing. I would rather be in Portugal to find a new club, even if I’m only training.”

By Sean Gillen

Add your comment

Name/Country:
Subject:
Comment: